Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

If there are errors in workflow published in Galley, send API call with input from textbox

nicolezk1
5 - Atom

I would like to know how to send a REST API call when there are errors in the workflow (that is published in the Gallery). The body of the REST API call should have the value of an input question (that comes from a text box tool).

My first approach was to have a second workflow that calls the main one and checks its status - once it completes, the second one checks if there are errors and sends the API call. The textbox tool is present in both workflows, so I don't have a problem with obtaining the input from the textbox when sending the API Call. The problem with this solution is that I cannot have two workflows running at the same time, I need it all to be in one workflow.

My second idea was to use the 'Events' tab of the main workflow and set it run "After Run With Errors" and use the PowerShell to send the API call. I just couldn't figure out how to get the text from the text box tool - is it possible?

Are there other solutions to this problem?

PS: The workflow is published in the Gallery and is called via the Alteryx Gallery API.

1 REPLY 1
ChristopherT
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi there,

For the first option, I know you don't want two workflows running at the same time but I wanted to propose the option of having chained workflows so that if the first one does have issues the next workflow can run and send the API call:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server/Chaining-Workflows-Together/ta-p/38573

You might have explored this option already but I wanted to recommend this in case you haven't seen it. For your second option, it would be helpful to see the workflow itself along with the API calls so I can understand further. As this post has created a support case with Alteryx Support I suggest emailing in so we can work on this together in more detail. I can then associate your email case with this one and we can work directly together to figure out the best options for this. 

Thank you,

Christopher