Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to update MongoDB user table using Alteryx

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi,

I have Alteryx server 2021.1 and i want to update the MongoDB user table.

I want to change the username in MongoDB table.

Could you please tell me the steps. How do i update the same using MongoDB input tool on server.

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @alt_tush 

It is not recommended that users make direct edits to the embedded MongoDB environment, especially if you're not absolutely certain that the change being made will not have any negative impact.

Because of the risk of providing you (or being misinterpreted) incorrect instruction, I'd suggest reaching out to support@alteryx.com directly so that they can assist you with the change you're trying to make to ensure that proper precautions are done to reverse changes made should your server become unstable.

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi jrgo,

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Could you please help me with steps to see the list of users in mogoDB using alteryx.

Thanks again

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @alt_tush 

PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOUR ENVIRONMENT BECOMES UNSTABLE

The link below is a good How-To article with connecting to MongoDB using Robo 3T which is free (not Studio 3T). 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Login-to-Robo-3T/ta-p/601025

You can also use the MongoDB Input tool (Connectors)

jrgo_0-1629295024301.png

Note that the instructions are assuming that you are remoted (RDP) into your server. You could connect to Mongo remotely, but it does require that the port MongoDB communicates on (default 27018) be open to inbound/outbound traffic. Take caution though as opening this port will present a new security risk since MongoDB does not need to communicate outside of the machine it's hosted in (except in multi-worker node environments). 

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi jrgo,

Yes its totally my responsibility 🙂

Thank you so much for your help 🙂

Bargeton
7 - Meteor

Hello,

Do you succeed to update mongdb user table?

I want to manually create 1 user directly to the DB and wonder if it's possible and how?

If I need to only insert 1 new line in user table or if I have to insert/update data into other tables...

Regards

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

I wouldn't recommend manually adding any records/documents into any of Alteryx's MongoDB collection/tables.

Their API does have endpoints for managing users though if your Server UI/Gallery is not using Windows Authentication.

https://help.alteryx.com/20231/server/user-endpoints

Bargeton
7 - Meteor

Hello,

It's not the question that's it is recommanded or not..

We use Windows Kerberos authentication.

In that case, I can't add an "application user" (virtual user) as user in Alteryx Gallery; and I need it.

Example use case: to use the Alteryx API by a program and not by a user. The program must have an account into the gallery to have an API Key/API secret credentials.

From Admin page, the "+ Add User" button is hidden.

From API, it respond with a forbidden answer.

So for now: either I have to switch authenticate method from kerberos to builtin... and then I will have the +Add User button (or I will be able to use the create user API)... and then switch back to Kerberos. But from the users' manual, it's not recommanded to do that (switch from one method to another).

Either I mannually insert 1 line in "user" table of the mongodb, which must do the job (and which must be so complicated).

Either... I don't know.

Alex

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

If you have the credentials for that "Application User" you can launch your browser as that account. Shift + Right-Click should expose the option pictured in the context menu. That option may not show if you try it from your start menu.

image.png

The profile for the app user should automatically create once it authenticates and then you can provision for API access.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Bargeton wrote:

So for now: either I have to switch authenticate method from kerberos to builtin...

Don't do this. The authentication method to Gallery should never be changed after it's been set.

image.png

https://help.alteryx.com/20231/server/configure-alteryx-server-authentication