Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to save workflows in alteryx server using .indbc file connection?

preeti121288
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I am trying to save workflow which uses .indbc file connection to connect database. can somebody please guide me step by step how to save workflow in gallery. I tried many times, include .indbc file as asset or uncheck .indbc file in asset options. nothing works. driver is also correct.

5 REPLIES 5
john_watkins
11 - Bolide

We also use in-db connections and use the file connection method.  We have created a shared drive on the server that houses our files so that we can control who can even see the directory.   Then when developing the workflow we just reference \\MYSERVER\FOLDER\MYCONN.indbc.    Because we are using UNC coding to refer to the server location it works from our desktops and from the server when saving.     There is no need to include it as an asset or anything using that method and the workflow dependencies doesn't care when it is UNC vs. a local file path C:\mydesktop etc.      We also have a drive mapped on all of our development machines (i.e. S:) and also have the same mapping on the server.   It works, but the UNC is a better bet.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @preeti121288 

As @john_watkinssuggested you would need to give the unc/complete network path while and you need to make sure the gallery have access to the network path. Treat this similarly to input file path. If workflow can access the input file in the path then it should be able to access indbc file in the same path.

preeti121288
6 - Meteoroid

I did that but it didn't work for me.

john_watkins
11 - Bolide

A thing that kept me from using this was small, but painful.   The Connect InDB tool allows the user to screw up the connection here.   You can connect two ways either through an alias or by using the file.

To connect to an alias you just see the name of the connection.   When you connect using a file you MUST have FILE:  C:\whateverpath.     When I swapped to the UNC I completely overlooked this an changed the string to \\Myserver\Mypath\Myfile which will not work.

FILE: \\MyServer\Mypath\Myfile works great.  Make sure you didn't make the same mistake. and that you and the account running alteryx in the gallery have access to the share drive.

In my opinion on the interface it should ask you if you want an alias or file and then just ask for name or path and have the tool append that FILE: at run time.    

yisoo4097
5 - Atom

I'd suggest using and after run without errors event to run a bat file that renames the file workflow writes. You can generate the bat file in the process to get the name you need.

world of solitaire