Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to publish a workflow letting user to input their own user/pwd to connect database

jessy92656
5 - Atom

We have a workflow which requires to connect a SQL Server. The SQL Server is mixed authentication (windows account + SQL server account). We have a shared SQL account: UserA. So I created a system ODBC connection to the database in Alteryx desinger embedded with UserA’s username and password. Then I build the workflow by using the above ODBC connection and published it in our company's gallery. Everyone can run the workflow from the gallery without inputting their own username/password.

However using a shared account doesn’t comply with our security police. So now every user is required to use their own credential to access SQL server and that’s their windows account. I need to publish a workflow that can’t save any username+password. But when the user is trying to run the workflow, the workflow will prompt a window to let user to input their username/password in order to access the SQL server data.

Can anyone share some experience how to fulfill such requirement? Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
andre347
10 - Fireball

Have a read through the 'The Lay of the Land 101' series by @JordanB

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Alteryx-Gallery-Series-The-Lay-of-the-Land-1...

In here he explains how you can configure your Gallery for your particular requirement and how you can set up workflow credentials. The article linked above explains how you can do that.

andre347
10 - Fireball

@jessy92656 did the article help you in solving your issue? Otherwise you could mark this topic as solved.

jessy92656
5 - Atom

Thanks andre347 for sharing the link. It helped, but missed some important settings. Later, I opened a ticket for Alteryx support. They pointed if I want to use "user specify their own credential" to run the workflow, I should follow this link to setup my server: https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/index.htm#Configuration/RunasPermissions.htm.

alterxdesigner
5 - Atom

@jessy92656, were you able to solve this successfully? It would be helpful if you could explain me the procedure for the same.

Thank you