Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to insert multiple files as an input for an analytic app via alteryx server

Devina_EDAMcheese
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I hope you are safe and healthy!

I need your insight. I have build an alteryx analytic app and upload it into the gallery. The app needs to connect with a directory to be able to pull all data from a directory. Is there a way for the app / workflow to connect with a directory inside my own laptop?

I already used text box interface tool to assign the folder path turns out to be an error like this image.
EDAMcheese_0-1629720115046.png

Then I used the file browse interface tool but it will only pull one specific file from the designated folder which it is not helping me.

Is there a way to enable the alteryx analytic app inside the gallery to get multiple files from one folder?

I also attach the analytic app I created for your reference.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Warm regards,

Devina
2 REPLIES 2
DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Devina_EDAMcheese,

For security reasons, you are unable to browse to a local directory/documents drive on your machine for the Alteryx Server machine to read from.

(see detail here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Saving-a-Workflow-with-Directory-Tool-...)

The error message you are recieving is the server machine trying to reach your personal C: documents folder, which it does not have permissions to. Have you tried replicating your process with the files staged on a shared directory? Note that the Alteryx Server will need a UNC path and the correct permissions to read this drive. There may also be implications due to the configuration of the Server itself (e.g. 'safe' mode).

Find more detail on Gallery input/output support here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Gallery-Input-and-Output/td-p/458222

Hope this helps!

David Thorpe

Sales Engineering

Devina_EDAMcheese
6 - Meteoroid

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

My colleague already tried to connect his workflow to a google shared drive but it also produced an error pop up.

I believe probably this is due to we have not set any UNC path or setting up permission to read the shared drive.

I am bit confused about the UNC path and setting up permission to read a shared directory. In the alteryx server, how and where we can set an UNC path and the permission to read a shared directory?

Regarding the 'safe' mode configuration, is it preferable or is it a safe thing to do if I change it into unrestricted?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

I really appreciate it David.

Warm regards,

Devina.