Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

How to import In DB connections into Gallery?

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

Hello Peers,

Server newbie here. May I please know how to upload a workflow onto Alteryx Server that has In-DB data connections and successfully run it? It seems like I cannot configure the connection details to use shared gallery data connections. So what is the process here? BTW, we use Oracle here.

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @timewaste

I recently guided someone through this problem. The answer can be found here.

The other alternative is to set the connections up on the server, under your user. I'd definitely recommend the above though!

Cheers

Kat

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

Kat,

Thank you for your input. But in comparison to article I dont seem to find 'Alias Manager' to create an .indbc file from my designer(Options --> Advanced --> Alias Manager). Where do I find it otherwise or can I find it elsewhere? My versions are 2018.1, 2018.3 (I have both). Please advise.

Thanks!

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @timewaste

Didn't see that the article was still referencing the old way. It's manage in-db under advanced.

Cheers

Kat

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @kat. The problem that I see here is... imagine if someone in their machine doesn't have administrator privileges they wouldn't be able to create a System DSN in ODBC or open the designer as an admin or create a System In-DB connection (because the option wouldn't even show up) as shown below.

Now, as a result, when we save the workflow to gallery and run it, we would notice that it wouldn't run and throw DB connection issue. Is there a workaround for this? Please advise. Thanks!

Alteryx Use Case.png

kat
12 - Quasar

Hi @timewaste

The approach I took is to create files for the connections. This is a once-off per connection you have. These connection files can then be shared with all users. When they want to connect in-DB, they can do so via the connection file, instead of having to create their own. These files can then be embedded into workflows as assets, ensuring that they will run on the gallery.

Hope this clarifies things.

Kind regards

Katrin

timewaste
8 - Asteroid

@kat Yup! Thanks.