Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to check version comatibility between Alteryx and Tableau

NaveenNaidu
5 - Atom

Can someone tell me how to check the version compatibility between Alteryx and Tableau.

I am specifically looking for Tableau version 2018.3 version compatibility with Alteryx versions.

3 REPLIES 3
Harbinger
9 - Comet
If you’re asking will tableau be able to read the Alteryx output for tableau, regardless, the answer is yes— tde or hyper, no matter what version of tableau you’re on, Tableau will pick it up.
KJennings
9 - Comet

Good Morning,

I have also been trying to research this same question for a few days now.  @Harbinger, thanks for the response.  Would you know if there is any vendor authored documentation available that supports that position?  Or is that what you found through various platform testing at at your location?

When I go back to my management to propose a position, my remarks will carry more credibility if I can state that I'm basing it off of vendor documentation, and not remarks from someone I don't know at a location I don't know where.  Nothing personal.

Sincerely, thanks for your response, and we'll keep pushing forward.

Kevin J

Harbinger
9 - Comet

@KJennings , 

Good of you to be dubious. You'll find in the Alteryx Release notes for 2018.1 that with the 2018.1 release, Alteryx can write .hyper (while maintaining the ability to write .tde files). From the Tableau side, with the release of Tableau 10.5 Tableau reads .hyper extracts. There is of course backward compatibility where 10.5+ can still open .tde there are considerations that are documented here.

So, a couple of hypotheticals

• Alteryx version before 2018.1 and Tableau version10.5 or above
    • You'll be OK! Alteryx will only be able to write .tde's but 10.5, although now supporting .hyper can still open the tde. 
  • Alteryx Version after 2018.1 and Tableau version before 10.5
    • You'll be OK! Alteryx will be able to write .tde and your version of tableau will be able to open that. Of course, in 2018.1 and beyond you have the ability to write .hyper files so if you choose to do that tableau will not be able to read it. Alas, you have the ability to write the .tde's. 

I hope that helps! 

Best, 

John