Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to Unzip files on the server

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I have 1000mb file with lot of excel files to run by multiple users on the server. 

is there a way to upload and extract the Zip file on the server. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dkma - Depending on your Server configuration you may be able to use a Run Command tool. Here is an example: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Can-Alteryx-unzip-a-file-as-part-of-th... 

dkma
8 - Asteroid

Hello @ArtApa ,

My approach is little different than explained in the URL. 

We need to upload the Zip to Server, and then Unzip. 

Thanks!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

How are you getting your .zip file to server? is it on a shared drive? Are you using a blob input tool? Hypothetically you could do something like  a blob input tool that takes in a ..zip file and places it in a static location on your server (say a directory related to staging & services or wherever) then your second app (or second component of that app) uses R or Python to unzip and get a roster of files. Your next component would read in the unzip files.

This is not ideal and could take an extended amount of time and require decent-know how of building workflows for Server and Server file locations and I obviously can't speak to any security concerns you may have.

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I tried using blob input tool. but not sure how to move further using blob input tool. 

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I tried using blob input tool. but not sure how to move further using blob input tool.