Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How to Unzip files on the server

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I have 1000mb file with lot of excel files to run by multiple users on the server. 

is there a way to upload and extract the Zip file on the server. 

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @dkma - Depending on your Server configuration you may be able to use a Run Command tool. Here is an example: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Can-Alteryx-unzip-a-file-as-part-of-th... 

dkma
8 - Asteroid

Hello @ArtApa ,

My approach is little different than explained in the URL. 

We need to upload the Zip to Server, and then Unzip. 

Thanks!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

How are you getting your .zip file to server? is it on a shared drive? Are you using a blob input tool? Hypothetically you could do something like  a blob input tool that takes in a ..zip file and places it in a static location on your server (say a directory related to staging & services or wherever) then your second app (or second component of that app) uses R or Python to unzip and get a roster of files. Your next component would read in the unzip files.

This is not ideal and could take an extended amount of time and require decent-know how of building workflows for Server and Server file locations and I obviously can't speak to any security concerns you may have.

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I tried using blob input tool. but not sure how to move further using blob input tool. 

dkma
8 - Asteroid

I tried using blob input tool. but not sure how to move further using blob input tool.