Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How can we use same workflow for different clients (need to connect to specific client db)

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

What is the best way to use common workflow for different clients. Where each client will have it's own database and this common workflow will connect to client database to fetch data. 

For example I have 100 clients, all of them will use same workflow, but when the respective client is running the workflow then the workflow need to connect to that respective client database. 

I have created collection with each client name and shared the common workflow in all these collections. At the time of running the workflow, how can I decide that, which client is running the workflow. I.e. is there a way to find the collection name from which the user has triggered this workflow? So that based on the collection name I can build the database name to which the workflow can connect. 

I don't want to ask the client to provide the name at the time of running the workflow. Because if same user has access to 2 different collection (clients) then the user may accidentally provide the different client names. 

Thank you,

Jithendra.

1 REPLY 1
JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Jithendra 

Yes, there is a way to do this.  

@mbarone has outlined how to capture user information, which can be used in conjunction with a lookup table to inform which database to use. 

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/4874i784316F9828A211E/image-size/original?v=v2&px=-1

I have used this a number of times, and find it quite helpful. 

Please let me know if there is any way I can help. 

Justin Babbitt