Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How can I concatenate two fields having integer as data type in a SQL database table?

CEO
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, I am creating a table and I would want two particular fields to concatenate to form a 3rd field. Take for instance:

class int not null,

studentNo int unique IDENTITY(100000,1) Primary Key,

StudentCode...

Class field will be 3-digits integer. StudentNo will be automatically generated, starting from 10,000 StudentCode (I want it to contain the class 3-digits for each student and also the studentNo. It will start with the 3-digits of the class. i.e to concatenate the class value and the studentNo value) I try as much to explain because I want explicit suggestion. If you are proficient with database (MySql or Microsoft Sql), and you know about this, then kindly help. Please help with a line or lines of codes.

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

In Alteryx you can wrap a column with ToString([ColumnName]) to effectively cast it to a string. You can also use a select tool if you want to modify the column data type. 

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @CEO ,

You can do this in two was.

1. Concatenate within Alteryx:- Please refer to the attached sample workflow on how to do this. Within the workflow i have used a Text Input just for showcasing. You will need to replace this with your input to the actual database.

2. Concatenate using SQL:- You can do this by executing a query similar to one described below.

SELECT CONCAT(c.Class, ':', c.studentNo) AS studentCode,
c.*
FROM `tablename` c;

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jagdeesh 

CEO
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your time. But using the SELECT command would only make it effective for that command. I would want it my table in the database to be programmed with that. I want the studentCode field to be affected by that command whenever a record or an update is made. How do I go about it please without using a SELECT statement?

CEO
6 - Meteoroid

@jagdeeshN

...and I will appreciate if you kindly write the line of code as if you're teaching a beginner, so I can study it and understand. I don't understand what you wrote there

CEO
6 - Meteoroid

I want to write the code in my database server, not in my application code. 

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @CEO ,

Please check the below link. It describes how to create virtual calculated columns within a table.

https://www.sqlshack.com/an-overview-of-computed-columns-in-sql-server/

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh