Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

How are the artifacts like workflows and subscriptions managed in a multi-node Gallery

pvd
7 - Meteor

Hello,

We are looking at a multi-node load balanced Gallery design and have a question around how the artifacts like subscriptions (private studios), their API key/secrets and the workflows within the subscriptions are managed. 

If we have to create a studio and deploy workflows, does that have to be done on all Gallery nodes? Also if the subscriptions are different on these nodes, does that mean the key/secrets are different?

Thanks in advance. 

5 REPLIES 5
ianwhite
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Typically when a multi-node gallery is mentioned, it's set up in a way that has one controller and multiple workers. When this is the case, you utilize a tag feature within the System Settings to specify workflows to run on a specific worker. In that scenario, you don't end up diverging your workflows or subscriptions as they will all still use the same instance of mongodb which stores that data.

pvd
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the response @ianwhite.

Is it safe to assume that if User1 hits Gallery-Node1, creates a subscription and publishes workflows and if a different User2 hits Gallery-Node2, the same workflows and subscription are visible to User2? Are the workflows stored (may be as xml data) in MongoDb when they are published? and subscription API key/secret are stored in MongoDb instance as well?

We are validating if there is a need to create/publish these artifacts on multiple gallery nodes. We are aware of the tagging functionality for sending the workloads to different worker nodes and are planning to leverage that. 

ianwhite
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I don't think that scenario will exist unless you're placing this behind a load balancer. Normally you just scale out with workers as shown in our configuration guide. https://help.alteryx.com/20201/server/configure-server

Unless you're speaking of something else entirely that I'm not aware of.

pvd
7 - Meteor

@ianwhite that's right, we are looking at a 3 node gallery design behind a load balancer. 

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@pvd 

Assuming that the communication among the nodes is quick then the changes made on one Gallery node should be visible on another because they all read from (and write to) the same (or a primary node of a replica set of) MongoDB.  There could be exceptions, but I would expect them to be rare because the timescale of user behavior is typically slow relative to the few milliseconds that communication would require.  If the pages have not been refreshed in some time, a user might not notice changes made by other users, however.  (Disclaimer:  I have not carried out performance testing to validate my belief, nor do I plan to.  For me, this is merely a thought experiment.)

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.