Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

HTML Macro sharing

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey Community,

Do you guys have any thoughts on how best to share HTML across your user base?

Our current setup uses our network drive to store macros, all of our users have access to this network drive including our server. By doing this we ensure all users are using the latest version of any macro.

Does this same setup work with HTML Macros?

Is there another method to share these easily?

5 REPLIES 5
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey bud. You know about using the ".YXI" file ext? That is the way to do this but it requires you to have certain files setup right. Basically a zipped file 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@joshuaburkhow 

Sure, I know about them but that involves sending them out and having the users install them right? Not to mention getting them installed on the server.

Is there no other way?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@LordNeilLord I am in the same boat as you. We have a macro repository on our network that my team all connects to. It's a one time setup when we install alteryx. I created a pretty cool html macro, but I was bummed that it didn't also work with the macro repository like normal macros. Having everyone install the yxi on their local machine (plus the server) isn't the ideal solution like the macro repository in our case.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@patrick_digan thats a frustrating situation!

Are you sticking with traditional macros or rolling out HTML (with all the pain it brings)?

In this instance I'm tempted to just rebuild the macro the "old school" way

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So the HTML macros go in the C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\HtmlPlugins folder. Why couldn't you just copy and paste the macro folder there? You could even share that folder maybe so that it's easier to copy to from your local machine. Would that work? 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks