Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Grouping on One Contact and Emailing Different to Various Different Contacts

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

@atcodedog05 

I do have another query (hopefully a little more challenging than the last!)  you might be able to help out with:

Most of my questions on here have been about this flow, but I have now discovered an issue now that its gone live!  The attached shows the part of my flow that I am having an issue with.

1 = This is where numerous data files are created into PDF files.  They are ultimately grouped by the overall 'Approver' contact.

2 = This part of the flow creates the specific PDF's for Account and Sub Account.  The issue I have is that whilst the Approver across the Account and Sub Accounts will be the same, I also have Owners and Coordinators that might be different across accounts:  EG.  Bob is approver across 2 accounts.  But account 1 has Sally and Greg as Owner and Coord and account 2 has Bill and Ben..............

3 = This is where the pdf's are grouped together so that the Approver only receives 1 email/attachment will all the items for them.

My issue initially was that only the Approver and one of the Owners / Coords was being sent the files.  In step 3 above/attached I not only selected Approver, but also Owner and Coord.  This now does show that all of them will receive the emails....However, as there are 6 different Owners/Coords, the Approver is now going to receive 6 emails.......Is there any way that I can still have the mail going to the approver once but also ensuring that all Owners and Coords are also getting the files?

I know that's a lot of info, but if you can assist it would be great.  Let me know if any further screenshots etc would help.

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

It is tough to explain where exactly to do this based on just a screenshot, but it sounds like you need a way of deduping. I am thinking you either want to split off the approvers into their own branch of the workflow, or you need to do some kind of summarize tool or unique tool so that those individuals only receive it once. 

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

Would there be any way of writing a formula to group emails together?  At the moment, I group all of the emails together in a new column called Distribution Emails.  How could I now write a formula to say, 'If Approver is the same, but Owners an Coord's are different, then add those different Owners and Coord's to the Distribution Email column?'  Just trying to get my head round how to do that.

bensilv
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @JTB76, to echo Brandon, it's quite difficult to see exactly what is going on.

As he said, there needs to be some form of deduping in the process to ensure you have 1-to-1 relationships between emails and approver. 

Can you utilise flags to simplify this? E.g. as you mentioned with the 'If Approver is the same, but Owners and Coord's are different..." we could use a multi-row tool to flag if that Approver is included at all on the list. Then follow with a filter to ensure only one email is sent to that user. This could potentially be easier than that with some heavy "IF" statements in a standard formula tool - depending on what your data looks like.

Alternatively, can you use a transpose to identify duplicates and eliminate them, resulting in a single entry after using the Unique tool.