Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Gallery not working for 2024.1 upgrade despite AlteryxService running

robwalks
7 - Meteor

Hi, I've just upgraded from 2023.2 to 2024.1 today. The install appeared to go well on both Controller and Worker boxes but then I found that we couldn't access the Gallery. The AlteryxService has restarted successfully and is currently running.

I have looked at the Version stated in mongodb and its at 46, whereas this schema reference guide suggests it should be at 61 (https://help.alteryx.com/current/en/server/configure/database-management/mongodb-management/mongodb-...). Can anyone advise if that's likely to be the issue and/or any possible solutions?

NB. I've raised a support ticket but in my experience that normally takes days to solve and as its our production environment and we have 180 live workflows I need to rectify this quickly :)

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Ariharan
11 - Bolide

Hi @robwalks , 

Numerous factors could contribute to this peculiar behavior.
1. The initial potential reason might be an unsuccessful MongoDB migration. This is a common occurrence, and it's crucial to examine the migration logs to gain a better understanding. You can locate the logs in the specified directory.

C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Persistence\MongoDB_4_0\migration. log
2. Ensure that your run-as account is properly configured on the server, and that you have all the necessary permissions enabled before proceeding with the server upgrade.

3. Verify the mongoDB locks and command queue items entries

I have a few questions that require clarification:
1. What is the current state of the gallery? Is it running, or is it stopped state?
2. Have you tested this upgrade on a lower-level system before implementing it on the production system? If so, and the upgrade was successful in the lower-level environment, you may consider restoring data from the UAT environment to the production system (though this may result in minor data loss, depending on the timing of the UAT upgrade).

If you're unable to find a solution within the community, I would suggest reverting your system to the previous version and restoring the data you had before the upgrade.

Regards, 

Ariharan Rengasamy

robwalks
7 - Meteor

Hi @Ariharan, by way of an update I was on a call with Alteryx support for several hours on Friday. The users collection failed the upgrade. Initially, by renaming the relevant user / user migration collection(s) we were able to move onto the next stage and the gallery then successfully displayed. However, we then realised that none of the user data had migrated from 2023.2 to 2024.1. I rolled back to 2023.2 which was difficult as there was a file missing from the bin folder which determined the version. We replaced this file manually and restored 2023.2 successfully. I then installed 2024.1 again, the user migration finished but again it didn't have any user data. The support team in the US were able to take an export from my mongodb, upgrade it on their system and then we successfully re-imported it into my 2024.1 environment. The downside was that the lack of users meant all the schedules were automatically disabled (we have 100+) so we've had to manually go through and re-enable all the schedules.

To answer your other question, we have sandbox which we'd upgraded to 2024.1 a couple of weeks ago. For this upgrade we experienced a different issue and ultimately ended up doing a clean install because Alteryx support were unable to fix the problems encountered (mongodb schema at incorrect version). So my advice currently is be very careful when planning an upgrade to 2024.1 and ensure you take al pre-cautionary steps including full backup, copies of token/keys/runtimesettings.xml and run the pre-upgrade workflow to check for any obvious issues before starting.