Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Gallery connection in production

Youssef_BenSalem
7 - Meteor

I have been desperately trying to publish a workflow on my production environments 

In fact , the main workflow calls many macros that do write and read data ( have input data and output data tools) 

Along the project, we have been using gallery connections. 

Now, we are trying to move to alteryx production environment that connects to a new database ( prod DB) 

I created the new gallery connections on the new server connecting to the new database with same names. But when trying to publish the workflow to the new server it did not revognize the connections since , i believe, uses an ID and not the names on connections (aka: connection_name)

Do you have any idea how to best migrate the workflow( and the macros related) . Duplicating and changing connections manually is not an option as it is very heavy and non practical in our case.

Please share with me your thoughts or previous experience working on such matter

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

The best way to change the connection to a new one is to do it from the Options > Workflow Dependencies area in Designer. You just need to change it once and it will apply to all the tools. For the macros, you have two options, have a folder on the network to house all the macros or include the macros with the workflow when saving it. 

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Youssef_BenSalem 

I would recommend storing all files for input/output and macros in a network location that can be accessed by all server machines you may have in your environment.

If you are using Gallery Data connections, I would create the same exact connections within the new environment. 

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

@PanPP Gallery Data Connections uses an internal ID, they do not rely on the connection name. Having the same name on two environments will not work. You need to update the ID and the easiest way it through the Workflow Dependencies.