Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Gallery: Unable to Translate Alias When Scheduled, Alias Translated When Run Manually

Jon_ct
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I've uploaded a workflow to the gallery.  When I run the workflow manually it runs successfully.  I've scheduled the workflow to run at 8am and the workflow fails with the error message "Unable to Translate Alias."  Why would something like this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,

Jon

6 REPLIES 6
NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Jon_ct 

Typically this is an error of the workflow not having permissions to the needed data sources when it is executed as the Run-As account on your Server, instead of your permissioned user.  

Potential quick fix:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-the-quot-Unable-to-tr...

There is a few levels at which you can set credentials, so if you need more information this can be a helpful post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/How-Workflow-Credentials-Work-on-a-Pr...

AnupD
8 - Asteroid

@Jon_ct  

Please check if the solution I had posted in below thread solves your problem or not:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Unable-to-translate-alias-when-schedulin...

Anup

Jon_ct
7 - Meteor

@AnupD Thanks for the reply!  I think this may be my issue, however I'm a little confused.  If I'm able to access the gallery locally (on designer) and run the workflow on gallery- how is the connection not shared on gallery?  What do I need to do so the connection is shared there?

AnupD
8 - Asteroid

The connection is shared in the Gallery, however it may be shared with the Studio you are part of, and not directly with you (as a User). Request your Curator to share it with you (User) not Studio and that should take care of the error.

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If you've had your Gallery Data Connections spontaneously stop working, you can request your Gallery Administrator remove you from the list of Users with which the Gallery Data Connection has been shared and then add you again. "Broken" Gallery Data Connections most often occur when some (any) change has been made to the user's profile in Gallery.  Any change will "break" the connections, including granting the user permission to schedule, prioritize, or assign jobs to a particular worker.  Changes that the user makes such as specifying a time zone or company will also do this. 

This sensitivity to change has been corrected in the stable update to Server version 2019.3.5 and later releases. If you can upgrade to that version, this problem shouldn't recur.

If you cannot upgrade immediately, then avoid making any changes to user profiles in Gallery.  Sharing Gallery Data Connections with Studios/Subscriptions can be a partial work-around, but if workflows are scheduled any Gallery Data Connections that those workflows use MUST be shared with the owner as a User.  Sharing Gallery Data Connections with Studios/Subscriptions will grant permission to use them to the members of the Studio/Subscription at the time the connection is shared, but may be inconsistent if membership in a Studio/Subscription later changes.

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.
Jon_ct
7 - Meteor

Thanks @NickSm  @AnupD @lepome for your help!  I ended up deleting the workflow on the gallery, re-saving it to the gallery, and it worked.  I suspect it was something to do with the data connection but I wasn't able to figure out why it wasn't working.