Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

File size limit for input file in gallery

Phill
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I'm getting issues when trying to select a large input file for a workflow in the gallery. File size is 942MB and its a CSV.

I've had a look around but all I can find reference to is file size limits in designer and I've had no issues running the workflow from designer. 

Is there some kind of limit because its loading from the browser that anyone knows of? Or any workarounds?

Currently I've reverted to taking out the file select option for that file so it stays static. 

Any help appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Are you getting a specific error message that makes you think it is caused by file size?

Can you run in gallery with a tiny input file?

Can you run a gallery workflow with only an input tool that reads the full size file?

Phill
8 - Asteroid

Yeah I got a message the first time saying it had exceeded the file size limit, naturally I didn't screenshot it and just tried again. Now it just hangs and I don't get any error.

The workflow runs fine with smaller files. And I have it running now with the same file as an input stored locally rather than a browse function. 

Thanks, 

Phill

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

From your description it sounds like some configuration setting. I went through the config gui and it wasn't there. It may be in an ini file or something. I recently ran into a barely documented chained app time limit error that required a .ini or .config file addition, not change what was there but adding an override.

Getting the exact message will be very helpful. 1000mb is common and fast in my situation.

Most often my gallery bugs don't match my first hunch. If you can rdp to the gallery server and run on that machine's desktop Alteryx as the gallery service account (or work with you admin in a screen share to do it) is usually the fastest way to the root of most problems. While you're on the server make sure it has more memory than your desktop. If that doesn't work here's the tedious way...

Put everything except the first input into a tool container,

disable the tool container so only the first input tool runs

Add a csv output tool to show what was read by the first input tool

Save to gallery and run.

It should either fail with an error or run the first tool and show you what the tool read after it finishes.

If it fails you should get some kind of error message

If it runs then your problem is happening downstream, move next tool out of disabled tool container, move the output csv to return output of next tool, run again

loop until it fails

Phill
8 - Asteroid

I think it must just be due to it being a browser upload via VPN. 

To resolve it I'll just modify the workflow to take the most recent file from a folder instead.