Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

File Browse Interface Tool doesn't provide true file path when run from Gallery

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

I have an app that uses file browse interface tool working perfectly in Designer.

I understand about using UNC path in gallery and file access permissions.

I need to write back to the same directory the user selected using the file browse.

When run from gallery, the selected file path is changed

from something like

\\server\folder\OlgaTest2.csv

to something like

In_5fba5855c261000078004911\OlgaTest2.csv

I would be able to write back to the directory if I could get it.

Is this a bug or is there a work-around?

6 REPLIES 6
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@hroderick-thr can you post your workflow without the data and I can have a play for you?

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Thanks for looking. Attached yxwz demonstrates the problem. Run from workstation it returns the full file path and name. Run from gallery it returns a gibberish directory and the name.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

@hroderick-thr try the attached workflow.

When the workflow is run on the Alteryx Server, it actually takes the file entered and puts it in a Staging area as per the screenshot below:

RishiK_0-1606085977086.png

I tried the sample workflow and it gave me the above. I could then find the file in that location.

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Thank you for the effort, but I need the original path so I can write back to the original path. I will just add a textbox question and require app user to copy the selected directory from the file browse tool and paste it into the textbox. 

I don't think there is a solution at this time and it is working as intended instead of working as needed. I'll post what is needed as an idea.

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Here is the idea to fix someone had already suggested.

Please add your like to it if you find this problem.

here 

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@hroderick-thr 

You can have the user copy and paste the path from the File Browse into a Text Box that updates something somewhere so that the path is captured.  It's clunky but it works

Lisa LePome
Principal Support Engineer -- Knowledge Management Coach
Alteryx, Inc.