Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error received on creating Oracle connection in Gallery

akshatrajj
7 - Meteor

Hi,

We are trying to create connection to Oracle database in Alteryx Gallery. We get the following error while trying to do it:

'System data OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater' (Please refer the screenshot)

4 REPLIES 4
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @akshatrajj ,

Can you please confirm if the Oracle Client(latest version) and the OCI drivers are installed on the machine your Gallery is hosted on?

I ask as this can happen due to the following two reasons:-

1. Non availability of the required versions of the Oracle client on the server machine

2. Non availability of the required oci drivers on the server machine.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Connect-to-an-Oracle-Databas...

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

akshatrajj
7 - Meteor

Hi Jagdeesh,

I'm getting a prompt similar to the one and therefore, I was trying to download Instant client from the following link (that was given in the article as well). 

image.png

https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html

Upon accessing this link, I notice there are different types of packages available (Basic, Basic Light, SQL*, etc.) as highlighted in the screenshot below:

image.png

Could you help me identify, which of these highlighted types and within each category, which versions/clients among the ones listed should be downloaded to fix the error in the question?

Further as a check, I extracted version 19.9.0.0.0 and following is the screenshot of the extract-  none of these files is looks like an installer. Could you also elaborate on the steps on how to use these package/files to install the oracle client?

image.png

Thanks,

Akshat

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @akshatrajj ,

Please find below a knowledge base article on how to connect to oracle databases. This goes in detail with regards to how to install the driver and the correct versions.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Connect-to-an-Oracle-Databas...

Please do let me know if this helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

akshatrajj
7 - Meteor

Hi Jagdeesh,

Thanks for sharing the link. But this happens to be the same link from which I followed the instructions to install oracle client and failed to do so. I have a few specific questions related to the installation. It would be of great help if I can get answers to the same:

1. Could you help me identify, which of these highlighted types and within each category, which versions/clients among the ones listed should be downloaded to fix the error in the question?

2. Further as a check, I extracted version 19.9.0.0.0 and following is the screenshot of the extract-  none of these files is looks like an installer. Could you also elaborate on the steps on how to use these package/files to install the oracle client?

Many thanks in advance!