Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Error in temp file when running in gallery

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I run a workflow on the Alteryx gallery (scheduled workflow) and from time to time I receive an error regarding temp files. 

Could you please advise how to fix this and avoid this situation for future?

joannasokolowska_0-1609153010088.png

Thank you in advance,

Asia

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @joannasokolowska 

I currently have this issue when writing Excel files from our dev server to our shared drive, but not when writing from the prod server.  In our case, the difference between the dev and prod environments is that the shared drive is located in the same data center as the prod server, but the dev server is in another datacenter separated from the shared drive by about 600KM, logically ~40ms latency or about 16 network hops.   

The separation seems to cause issues in the process that Alteryx uses to write to excel files.  Our solution will be to move the dev server into the same data center as the shared drive.  

Things that you can try.  

- If possible write to csv files instead of Excel files.

-write all output to a drive on the server and then have a workflow event After Run Without Errors that launches a batch file to copy the files from the server to the network drive.  The OS copy process is much more robust and should copy the files with no issue. 

Dan

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for looking into this issue! I tried to change output files into csv and I got even more errors now ;/ 

joannasokolowska_0-1609762156203.png

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Can't speak for the errors happening on tool 206 and 210, but for 133 and 208, the issue is that the file path in those output tools contain a part that is not used for CSV file types, highlighted below. That part is intended for data sources that contain tables/sheets, which a CSV file does not support.

You'll likely need to include that into the file name. e.g.:

• [your network path]\Training completions all completed courses 2021-01-04.csv
  • [your network path]\Training completions Training completions 2021-01-04.csv 

jrgo_1-1609799173638.png

joannasokolowska
8 - Asteroid

Hey,

Thanks for this comment - it is very useful! However I decided to change it back into excel (I couldn't figure out error on tool 206/210). I made the output file smaller (remove some columns/filter values) and remove/add output tools again. After that, I do not see this error anymore so I  hope it is solved permanently. 

Thanks,

Asia