Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Error: Alteryx Server, scheduling workflow with macro

arfuzzum
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I've created a standard workflow which use a macro as part of the stream. When trying to schedule this on Alteryx Server the job fails; it cannot find the macro. The job runs fine locally.

I've tried to research a bit, changed the macro path to absolute path prior to scheduling. This did not help. I've also tried moving the files around a bit, such as to another local directory.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to upload and reference the macro file on the server itself?

ryx.JPGdependencies.JPG

BR,

Richard

6 REPLIES 6
TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Richard,

Any macros being used on the Server Scheduler will need to be placed on the Server itself in order to run correctly. You could also package the workflow as a zip (yxzp) file and schedule the zipped package instead of the workflow itself. This may be easier to do instead of maintaining a number of macros on the server.

Hope this helps.

dataMack
12 - Quasar

This is one of those things that Alteryx should just do for the user.  If I'm working in Tableau and go to publish a dashboard it will automatically pickup any local files I may have used.

The 'create a package then schedule that' is a good tip, but is really a step the user shouldn't have the think about.  At the time os scheduling, server should check for dependencies then let the user know it will be taking local files x, y, z as they are not available on the server.

arfuzzum
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for responding. I've yet to try it, but it sounds like a solution!

BR,

Richard

TonyM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @arfuzzum and @dataMack

There is an additional option to package assets with the workflow when saving to the gallery. This was added when scheduling was added to the Gallery component of the server. When you save a workflow to the Gallery. File-Save As->Your Company's Gallery - you will be presented with workflow options and the ability to Manage Workflow Assets. This should make scheduling with custom macros much easier! Hope this helps.

assets.jpgassets 2.jpg

Inactive User
Not applicable

@dataMack - Any news on when this is due to be fixed?

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@Inactive User

Since this particular behavior is expected there is no current timeline on an update to this feature. However, a great way to request a feature update like this would be to post in the Designer Idea board. This allows the Alteryx development team to see and gauge interest on specific updates to the product.