Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Entering Credentials has been disabled -- Bad Version of provider

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

My company is new to using the gallery, and I'm trying to set up gallery connections.  I'm getting the "Entering Credentials has been disabled" error.  Checking the logs, though, this is not coming from a permissions error like other discussions on this topic.  We are using the LocalSystem user for the service, and the logs are pasted below:  Any idea how to fix this?

2022-12-13 05:00:01.361000,NOTICE,155136,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage: Initializing encrypted storage locally."
2022-12-13 05:00:01.365000,ERROR,155136,AlteryxService,,,,,,,,,"AlteryxService_InitLocalEncryptedStorage_Error: Error importing keys to Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\ directory in ProgramData: Bad Version of provider. (-2146893817)"

16 REPLIES 16
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PythorZ 

Are you trying to set up Gallery data connections or a gallery connection in Designer?

I would make sure the local system account on the Server machine has all of the following permissions listed here

I would make sure the following setting is enabled if you are trying to select credentials.credentials.png

I would also recommend checking out a community article that has some resolution steps KB Article.

Did you recently upgrade the server? 

Hope this helps. 

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

I get this error when I click "Test Connection" while trying to add a new connection in the Gallery interface.  

I've been through the KB article, but since we're using LocalSystem, and that doesn't appear to be a user you can add permissions to a folder for, it didn't help much.  Also, I'm not getting the "Access is denied" error in the logs, instead I have the "Bad Version of provider" error I posted.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PythorZ 

Can you provide a screenshot of the error message?

Does this error occur in the gallery data connections tab or credential admin tab?

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

This is the data connections admin tab. Capture_20221215.PNG

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @PythorZ 

Typically the root cause is that the Alteryx Service account has insufficient permissions to the server's machine key directory (%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys) or specifically the Alteryx Machine Key which is used to encrypt/decrypt user credentials and Gallery data connections. 

I would recommend following this post. https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-quot-Entering-credent...

Can you make sure the current local server admin account has these permissions?

After setting these permissions, you will need to restart the service.

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

I've already been through both those pages.  As I've indicated, the message listed under "Diagnosis" on that first page does not appear in my logs.  My logs have a different message, dealing with a "Bad Version".  

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I would recommend reaching out to support@alteryx.com

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @PythorZ ,

Is this a new server installation? Did you perform an upgrade or the host recovery process?

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

PythorZ
6 - Meteoroid

Sort of?  I believe the server was uninstalled and reinstalled on Monday (someone wanted to move to 2022.3, but didn't realize there wasn't a server version yet), but I can't say that it was working before that.  I'm the first person in my company to try to add Gallery connections.