Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input tool causes "Document 0 is too large for the cluster" error in Mongodb

mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hi,

I have been having an issue with several workflows running on the Alteryx Server. The jobs run fine (data outputs to Tableau at the end) but the job shows an error and doesn't display a time for the workflow run. When I check the logs in MongoDB I see the error:

Mongo error: "Document 0 is too large for the cluster. Document is 52201114 bytes, max is 16777216.: generic server error" code: <mongodb:18>

I've run some tests and found that when I delete the dynamic input tool from my workflow, the error goes away. I have a feeling that the dynamic input tool is causing a large amount of data to be written to Mongo, but I don't know how to change this other than to not use the tool (I mostly use it to look up extra information from a database downstream of my initial query, then join it back in to my main data stream).

Has anybody overcome this issue? 

Thanks,

Megan

4 REPLIES 4
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @mmenth 

Based on the error message, this looks like it could be a memory issue.

Does the workflow run properly on your desktop with the Dynamic Input tool?  If so, then this is likely an issue with the setup on the server or a memory issue on the server.

A workaround for this would be creating a macro that pulls all of that information for you, and then feeds it into your workflow so that it's not pulling such a large dataset.

I would also check to make sure your server is operating with the required specs. You can see these at the bottom of the Server product page on our website.

https://www.alteryx.com/products/alteryx-platform/alteryx-server

I hope this helps!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
mmenth
11 - Bolide

Hey @TrevorS

Thanks for your reply. The workflows where I am getting this error do run properly in designer. I'll check with our IT team to see if the required specs are being met.

My other thought is that the dynamic input tool generates a lot of messages-- is it possible the server is trying to store all these messages on Mongodb and that is causing the memory issue?

Thanks,

mmenth

TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you please provide a copy of your workflow?

It would help to see how you are using the dynamic input tool even without being able to connect to our database.

Are you using the Dynamic Input tool to bring in the additional information custom based on the initial query? Or is this downstream data the same for every run?

Community Moderator
mmenth
11 - Bolide

I actually figured it out. I was right about the messages causing the memory problem in Mongodb. When I put portions of the workflow that had a dynamic input into a macro and suppressed macro messages, the error went away:

BEFORE:

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

AFTER:

Capture4.PNGCapture5.PNGCapture6.PNG

Best,

mmenth