Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Does alteryx server engine work when designer users develop workflows on local machine?

totasato
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

Does alteryx server engine work when designer users develop workflows on local machine?

In my mind, alteyrx server engine is only used by workflows running from server gallery, not for alteryx designer on local machine. alteryx designer installed on local machine works on the local machine engine, not on alteryx server engine.

Is this correct? Is there any way for designer users to get benefit of server machine resources when they develop workflows at their local machine?

How about alteryx designer installed on server machine? Does it work on the same server engine which gallery workflows work on.

5 REPLIES 5
sean_bolte_dup_544
8 - Asteroid

When you develop workflows on local instances and you either want them to be Scheduled, or you develop an app that you want to be available on your Gallery, you basically save them to your Gallery (which, in turn, is your server). Your Gallery URL is added through your Designer via File-> Save As-> Private Gallery -> Add Gallery. Once that has been established, your Artisans will be able to load them to your server. The main issues you run into is ensuring you are utilizing DSN's that are setup with ODBC connections that are the same. That will trip your users up when they are trying to load workflows using DB connections. Just have them setup System based ODBC connections that mimic what is on your Server (via your ODBC Data Sources admin interface).

Your server Admin will be able to see jobs scheduled by Artisans, as well as them being able to see those jobs via their local Alteryx instance thru Options -> View Schedules.

I'm glossing over some of the setup and admin stuff, but answering the general nature of your question. You are using your Server resources when these jobs are running, they are stored as jobs on your mongo-db instance (assuming that is how your implementation is done).

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @totasato ,

You are correct, local machines use local machine's engines and there isn't currently a way of letting the local users select the engine where they want to run (without scheduling)

When you are using the Alteryx designer installed on server, it will use the same engine as your gallery workflows but it goes against the best practices since you can diminish the server performance by that. 

One thing that I'm not sure is if these workflows runned on server's designers count for the Workflows allowed to run simultaneously . Also, if they count as one, they wouldn't respect the queue of workflows.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

totasato
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @fmvizcaino

Thank you, you answered my point perfectly.

totasato
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @sean_bolte_dup_544 ,

Thank you for the answer and please correct me if I am wrong.

We can use the server resources after we published the workflow and the scheduled jobs are running.

When we run the workflow from the button of the designer on a local machine, the designer use local machine's engine.

sean_bolte_dup_544
8 - Asteroid

Yes, that's correct. Sorry I misinterpreted your question!