Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Desktop Scheduler

Ken
8 - Asteroid

Hi all -

We finally got a key to allow us to run scheduled workflows but I am having issues getting it set up. I created a simple flow, save it and then select Options > Schedule Workflow. Next, from what I can read, it seems like I should have the option to select 'Local Machine' from the Controller selection box but all I have is Not Connected and Connect to Controller. When I select Connect to Controller I get a dialog box promting for a Machine Name and a Controller Token. -? I can't get past this point.

I have read online that I need to set up my local machine as a controller - ? Maybe if I could do this then I would have Local Machine as an option? Which leads to the next issue - When I select Options>Advanced Options> System Settings I get an error message stating 'There was an error starting System Settings. It may not be installed properly'.

I am completely lost at this point... Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ken

9 REPLIES 9
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Ken,

Everything should just work out of the box when doing desktop scheduler. Did you register the new license? And do you perhaps have anything running on port 80 (Skype could be the issue)?

From what I see, the Alteryx service is not starting, and that is why you don't get "Local Machine" as an option.

Best regards,

Daniel

Ken
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for your response -

Not sure how to check and see if Alteryx Service is running or how to see if anything is using port 80 (?) I will google both. I assume since Alteryx if working otherwise that I don't have any key registration issues.

Ken

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Ken,

Here is how to see if the service is running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTRi3pQI9mQ

And her is to check if something is running on port 80: Rung "netstat -aon | findstr :80" in command line.

Best,

Daniel

Services.MSC is a CMD command that displays the Services set up on the computer. Not much more to say, other than it requires Admin privileges.
Ken
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the help -

I see Alteryx Service listed but the status does not have 'Started' like some of the others. And it has Startup Type shown as 'Automatic (Delayed Start). Do I need to do something to start it or should it somehow start itself?

And I tried the port 80 cmd line suggestion and it does not appear to find anything as it just returns back to cmd line with out any messages - is this what it should do if nothing is running on 80?

ken

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You are welcome.

If the service is not started then it won't work. Could you see what is in here:

1. Server startup error file

If Server startup fails, it will attempt to create a file called LastStartupError.txt containing the final error message associated with a failure event. By default, the file will be written to C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\LastStartupError.txt:

Taken from: http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/Tips-and-Tools-for-Troubleshooting-Private-Server/...

william_sanchez
6 - Meteoroid

Daniel, I have an user trying to set up the scheduler using a dev account (to get Admin right to her computer) but she is getting this error during the set up process:

thanks, 

william.sanchez@walmart.com

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi William,

The user that is trying to edit the settings doesn't have access to the ProgramData folder. I'm not sure what configuration exists in order to get into System Settings and not have access to that folder, but you can try folder permissions, however best option is to try use the dev account to edit the system settings.

Kane

Ken
8 - Asteroid

So - I am going to try and figure this out again.

- I see Alteryx in the services but is not started and the option to start it is greyed out. Perhaps if I had admin it would allow me to start it?

- I have searched for the error file and there does not appear to be one on my computer. Which may mean there has not been a failed attempt to start up?

Thanks for the help -

Ken

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Ken,

Yes, you probably would need to have admin rights to start the service, and I agree with your second assertion, chances are it didn't try to start.

Kane