Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Designer won't install license on a "Server OS"

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Hello:

I have built a reporting workflow that is executed in a batch script using AlteryxEngineCmd.exe.

The script extracts report data from a SharePoint site, then the workflow cleans up the extracted data and sends it to a Tableau server for reporting purposes.

I created a scheduled task to run this batch script at regular intervals on our schedule server set up that runs all of our scheduled jobs - it runs on a Windows server OS.

I installed Alteryx Designer on the server to provide the necessary elements to run workflows from the command line using AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, but when I tried to install the license I get the message:

The following license could not be installed:

xxxemailaddressxxx:

This license is not valid for a Server Operating System.

How do I get around this?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @JDelgado

You can't use a standard licence key on a server you need to input a server licence key.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Reinierk
7 - Meteor

Hi @JDelgado

I recently had the same issue with a client of mine, I would suggest that you contact Alteryx support and ask the for a designer licence that will work on a server OS, as @LordNeilLord, the standard designer licence can`t install on a server OS.

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Grrr... I was afraid of that...

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Designer license that works on a server OS?  I'll look into it. Thanks.

Reinierk
7 - Meteor

yeah, contact support@alteryx to assist

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@JDelgado

When you purchase Alteryx Server you also get a server version of designer with it but they give you a different type of licence key to handle this.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Looking into it now - already sent a message to Alteryx support.

Thanks guys!

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm curious if you learned anything more about this. One of the earlier comments mentioned an alternative license that could work on a server even though Alteryx Server is not in use.