Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Designer won't install license on a "Server OS"

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Hello:

I have built a reporting workflow that is executed in a batch script using AlteryxEngineCmd.exe.

The script extracts report data from a SharePoint site, then the workflow cleans up the extracted data and sends it to a Tableau server for reporting purposes.

I created a scheduled task to run this batch script at regular intervals on our schedule server set up that runs all of our scheduled jobs - it runs on a Windows server OS.

I installed Alteryx Designer on the server to provide the necessary elements to run workflows from the command line using AlteryxEngineCmd.exe, but when I tried to install the license I get the message:

The following license could not be installed:

xxxemailaddressxxx:

This license is not valid for a Server Operating System.

How do I get around this?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @JDelgado

You can't use a standard licence key on a server you need to input a server licence key.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

Reinierk
7 - Meteor

Hi @JDelgado

I recently had the same issue with a client of mine, I would suggest that you contact Alteryx support and ask the for a designer licence that will work on a server OS, as @LordNeilLord, the standard designer licence can`t install on a server OS.

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Grrr... I was afraid of that...

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Designer license that works on a server OS?  I'll look into it. Thanks.

Reinierk
7 - Meteor

yeah, contact support@alteryx to assist

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

@JDelgado

When you purchase Alteryx Server you also get a server version of designer with it but they give you a different type of licence key to handle this.

@LordNeilLord

Part time Tableau, Part Time Alteryx. Full Time Awesome

Data Lover

JDelgado
8 - Asteroid

Looking into it now - already sent a message to Alteryx support.

Thanks guys!

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm curious if you learned anything more about this. One of the earlier comments mentioned an alternative license that could work on a server even though Alteryx Server is not in use.