Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Defaulting Encoding Type on Output File

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have an application on the server that outputs a csv file. When outputting, there's always a prompt to select encoding type. Is there a way for me to default this encoding type to specific selection? I want to default it to unicode UTF-8

johnnykoung_0-1635173709824.png
Thanks,

Johnny

7 REPLIES 7
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

yes! but it's not intuitive - you need to blob convert to UTF-8. Then blob output as a file with a .csv extension.

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

I have multiple columns in my file. Do I have to blob convert each column using the configuration below? And then how to I use the blob output tool? I'm not sure how I can export the whole file as .csv.

johnnykoung_0-1635234688892.png

johnnykoung_1-1635234728864.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

no. you add a record id transpose and then create a concatenated field of your values using summarize tool separated by your delimiter. Then you convert that field.

I can't remember if blob output downloads automatically but you create a dummy filename like "my.csv" and it isn't much work to add a filebrowse/action tool to that if you need to.

csmith11
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately, this does not work for me. I still get a drop down asking me to choose an encoding type.

csmith11_0-1640185881117.png

I believe the best options are:

1.Train users to pick the appropriate encoding type

2. Output to a shared drive with a link to the output location displayed in the result window in Gallery.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@csmith11  That's with a blob conversion and blob output? Can you share a screengrab of your workflow? Can you try changing the extension filename to test.txt and see if you still get that?

csmith11
11 - Bolide

txt works just fine.

csmith11_0-1640197745557.png

csmith11_1-1640197772531.png

csmith11_2-1640197794295.png\\

Works with CSV too, but we might as well just write out to a normal CSV output since the result is the same.

Fortunately, Alteryx has already accepted the idea to default the encoding option.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Disable-or-Default-CSV-Encoding-Type-at-Output...

csmith11
11 - Bolide

Here's a copy of my workflow. 

Have you tested this already? Did it work as expected? What version of Gallery are you on?