Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Data on share drive vs Data Connection to Database

tarequeh84
5 - Atom

Hi All!

In our org, I've come across 2 kinds of users. users that create gallery workflows using tables on our share drive (mapped network drive), .yxdb etc and others that use a MySQL Odbc connection.

Both work when uploading a workflow to the gallery but is there one that is a better practice than the other?

I've been trying to find documentation if odbc does a new call every time the workflow on the gallery is run, or if the share drive workflow only loads the data during the initial upload and doesn't reflect changes but couldn't find anything.

Any direction or info here would be awsome!

Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2
No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

I asked this same question years ago as my org at the time was experiencing the same and I wanted to promote best practices. What I've learned is it really depends on the situation. Your population of users who are used to connecting directly to databases via ODBC connections - are going to continue to connect to ODBC connections. They are more likely to be used to the parameters around direct connections and the inherent do's & don'ts. The ones who may not be experienced connecting via ODBC connection and/or are limited in the data that they need, pulling data from a "sandbox" environment such as LAN drive locations for .YXDB files adds that extra layer of protection and keeps the process simple. As long as both sources are the same(updated at the same time), you avoid a risk of creating solutions that may have different results due to a difference in underlying data. 

To answer your other questions, ODBC connections do a new call every time the workflow is run on the gallery. If you are using a file as your data source, you would want to make sure that the assets box remains unchecked when you upload your solution to the gallery and that way each time the workflow is run on the gallery, it connects to that file directly - allowing for updates to occur and be accounted for. If you select the assets box when uploading, that means you are pulling that file, as is, to the gallery and the workflow will use that version in perpetuity every time its run moving forward(not accounting for changes)

tarequeh84
5 - Atom

Thank you!

Exactly the info I needed!