Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

DCM SDK Allow All - What are the risks of enabling SDK tools for the DCM?

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

Hi all.
I struggle to understand the implications of enable "Allow All" for the DCM in the server configuration.
We would like to use the alteryx sharepoint input tool with the data connection manager, but this requires the DCM setting to be set to "Allow All". 
What are the implications of "Allow All" vs "Allow" ? 

GloriousWater_0-1669900836415.png

8 REPLIES 8
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @GloriousWater ,

I thought I knew but after a few tests, I'm not sure anymore 😅

I can contribute with another part of your question though. The Sharepoint file input/output is not yet supported with DCM, that is coming soon with the new server version 22.3. Right now, the only supported tool are the list input and output.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Sharepoint-Files-Input-Output-to-work-with-D...

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino 

I am using sharepoint files input to download excel files on a schedule on our testserver. It just requires you to enable "Allow All" for it to should up in the datasource list. 
It has been running for 11 days and still going strong, extracting an excel file and timestamping it every day. 

GloriousWater_0-1669913798480.png

But trying to understand what im actually enabling when doing so before i can do it on our prod. environment..

2022-12-01_17-54-47.png

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @GloriousWater ,

I see, you are in the most recent version of server then, right? 22.3? 

I would suggest reaching out to support@alteryx.com to clarify. It is not clear to me what that is actually doing.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

Server and designer 2022.1

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @GloriousWater - "Allow" vs "Allow all" is just a default value of the following setting on the Gallery:

ArtApa_0-1669954309956.png

Alteryx SDK is an extensibility product. At Alteryx, SDKs allow individuals to build, scaffold, package, and deploy custom extensions/plugins on top of Alteryx Products. You may already use Alteryx SDK tools, Data Connectors, Intelligence Suite, Partner Connectors etc. There may be some tools developed by your team. Essentially this is a security setting.

Platform SDK documentation: https://help.alteryx.com/developer-help/platform-sdk  

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa Thanks!

However, it also effects whether or not that the sharepoint files input show up as an available data source. Im trying to understand why, if its only supposed to affect the default setting on allowing connections to SDK tools.

Server with "Allow": 

GloriousWater_0-1669971514787.png

Testserver with: "Allow All"

GloriousWater_1-1669971542810.png

GloriousWater
8 - Asteroid

@ArtApa Does this mean, that the only change of that setting is to enable the SDK connections by default?

Is it a possible bug that SharePoint files input connector doesn't show in the list unless the setting is set to "Allow All" ?

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @GloriousWater 

I don't believe this is a bug. The new SP Files tool is written differently code wise compared to the old SP List tools.

There shouldn't be a concern regarding this as the configuration of each tool is at the profile level and users should have access to the configuration to their own secret key, client id, etc.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and if it helps resolve your problem, mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.