Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Company gallery version in alteryx 2020.2, workflow build upon 2019.2 alteryx designer

parparab
7 - Meteor

In this case upgrade to 2020.2 alteryx designer is one solution I know but upgrade not possible then what is another way for it to update workflows and keep continue without error of higher version.

3 REPLIES 3
wwatson
12 - Quasar

We have a policy in our company that users will not upgrade their desktop designer applications until we have upgraded our Alteryx Server.

We try to update Server as soon as possible after a new release is available.

We have encountered situations where users have upgraded before we upgraded server and that prevented them saving workflows to server until server had been upgraded.

Server should be able to run older versions of workflows though as it should be backwardly compatible. Are you saying your Server is on 2020.2 and won't run a workflow that was saved as 2019.2?

parparab
7 - Meteor

Thanks, @wwatson  for reply

no, I had stored some workflows in company gallery before it updated it's alteryx version by 2020.2.

as a user of workflow, I developed it using alteryx designer 2019.2, now due to client requirement I want to changes with my workflow and upload it in company gallery. 

But to make changes if I download workflow from a server and try to work on it using 2019.2  alteryx designer will it work?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, workflows are forward compatible. This means that if you create a workflow on an older version, it will continue to run without issues on a newer version. So, if you create/update a workflow in 2019.2, and your server is 2020.2, it should be fine.

It does not work the other way around though. You cannot have a workflow built in a newer version and deploy it to an older version of Server.