Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Collection sharing privilage

Ranjith15
7 - Meteor

I am using Alteryx 2018.4 version and created the collection in our gallery.

I also made some of the user as admin so that they can add users to the collection. If my account got deactivated then who can able to promote the user as collection admin?

Note: The one who promoted as admin only able to add members and new workflows.

Thanks in Advance

7 REPLIES 7
Kaviyarasan_P
8 - Asteroid

I also made some of the user as admin so that they can add users to the collection. If my account got deactivated then who can able to promote the user as collection admin?

As you said, there are a few more admins. They have all right,  They can do all function what you did.

ChrisHe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @Ranjith15 ,

I definitely understand the desire to have more granular control over Collections, who can share and who is an admin.  In 2018.4, I don't know of a way to achieve what exactly what you're looking for; making someone a Collection admin is the most control you can grant to another user.

However, as of Alteryx Server 2019.1 and 2019.3 there have been a number of great changes to how Collections function.  In particular there is the ability to give individual users the ability to administer, add users, add content and even change overall ownership of a Collection.  I hope this info can serve as a great reason to upgrade to one of the newer versions!

Let me know if I can provide any more clarification!

-Chris

Ranjith15
7 - Meteor

Hi @ChrisHe 

Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know what will happen to collection, if the collection owner account is deactivated. 

Ranjith15
7 - Meteor

Hi @Kaviyarasan_P ,

Thanks for the reply, the thing is collection owner will have kind of elevated access, so that they can make any user as collection or even delete the collection if it don't required. But the other users can't.

ChrisHe
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Ranjith15  - if a user account is de-activated nothing will happen to the Collection. Users that have access to the Collection will still have access and the workflows will remain as part of the Collection and the Private Studio they were published into.

If there was no Collection Admin specified then in 2018.4 one way to get access the workflows would be to add a Curator (admin) account to that de-activated user's Private Studio.  Then the workflows could be downloaded and moved to a new Private Studio and/or Collection.  If manually downloading and re-publishing isn't feasible due to scale, that Curator could also leverage our migration endpoints (new in 2018.4) to move the workflows to a new studio.

As of 2019.2 it's possible to nominate a new owner of a collection which is a much easier process for transferring full ownership.  If this info is a help please star so others can find the solution! 

Ranjith15
7 - Meteor

Thanks @ChrisHe 

pbenski_att
5 - Atom

@ChrisHe Hello!  I just saw this and the comment that users can change the ownership of a Collection.  I am having a hard time getting this to work.  What are the steps, please?  Thank you!