Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Chaining workflows together

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

I have two unrelated workflows which I want to run one after the other (once the first workflow completes, regardless of success or failure, I want the second one to run too), is there a way to do it in server?

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you looked at Crew Macros - List Runner?

shravanvijayaprasad
8 - Asteroid

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I'd have to deploy these onto my company's gallery, so don't think list runner would work, or would it?

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @shravanvijayaprasad, it certainly is worth asking your Alteryx Server Admin if they could deploy the CreW macros on your Alteryx server. It would make things much easier.

jcabrough
7 - Meteor

I went through a pretty lengthy process of setting this up last year. I found the CReW runner needed to reference a hard drive location instead of the server location, and that the server's hard drive location constantly changed within temporary storage. I therefore switched takes to making use of the API call, which involved requesting a list of available workflows, kicking off a request to queue a particular workflow (based on a key at the end of it"s url in the gallery), and then listening for us completion before moving onto the next workflow (with blocking tools to ensure they didn't overlap). It felt a lot more arduous than I thought it would be, and look forwards to dependent scheduling in an upcoming release.

One final note. I wanted the server to be firing off and monitoring the output of workflows, but using the API didn't result in the workflow results being shown. I therefore track status through listening via a Designer session (insert the schedules > pending list)