Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Chaining problems on Gallery

andyps
5 - Atom

Hi - I'm new to the community.  Thanks in anticipation of your help and advice.

I have converted some simple Workflows into Analytic Apps so that I can use the InterfaceDesigner to Chain them together using the 'On Success run another App' option.

So in Designer I have App1  then App2 then App3 then App4 etc.  It's as simple as that, No Crew Macros, No Events, No Interface Questions.

In Designer this works perfectly.  I can see the Outputs of each App arriving in my Outputs folder as each App completes.

So, now I want this in the Gallery so the whole lot can be scheduled to run on the server, when I'm asleep.

I published App1 to the Gallery and it takes Apps 2,3,4,5,6 with it (because they are chained). So looking at App1 in the Gallery I can see that it is now comprised of 6 Apps.

There are now 2 problems.  I'll do the second first, as there is already lots of contradictory discussion about the first.

• Issue 2.  When Scheduled in the Gallery.  Only App 1 runs, it doesn't kick off 2, so the Chaining is being ignored.
  • Issue 1.  When I run App1 Manually I can see the that the chaining actually starts to work by the date/times on the output files.  But after a short time I get the much discussed "workflow exceeded maximum runtime of 30 seconds and was cancelled" error.  My admin assures me that this setting is NOT applied on the server, so they can't see why I would get that error.  

Questions.

1. Has anybody successfully used the simple 'On Success run another App' to chain Apps together, and then Schedule this on the server?
  2. Is there anywhere else the 30 second limit may be being set?  Why 30 seconds? Surely the benefit of running stuff remotely on a server is that you can run it at less sociable hours and for longer if required.
  3. Can anybody explain why Scheduling ignored the chaining, but running Manually does at least start to Chain the Apps before the error?

Thanks so much, Andy.

2 REPLIES 2
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Add all workflows to the save of the first one.

The Assets pane shown below is a pain to find. When you click on some tools, like a macro, the circled cube shows. Click on it to get to the pain pane.

Click add files to add your other workflows, then save the first one to the gallery. It will include them all in one package.

When setting the next workflow, enter only filename.yxmd without any directory.

Free tip: output yxmd files at different point while debugging so you can see how your app is behaving when running on the server. That's the only way I know how to find out how it is working in the different environment

Capture.PNG

andyps
5 - Atom

Thanks very much hroderick-thr for your reply and tips, but you haven't quite addressed my questions.

I have managed to save Workflow 1 to the Gallery and yes it does take with it the other chained Apps 2,3,4,5 etc.

My main question was why I can choose 'Run' and it correctly runs 1,2,3,4... but when I choose Schedule it only runs 1?

This means I can't really automate the Workflows to all execute on the Gallery in my absence on a planned date, I have to be there to press 'Run' each time.

Regards,

Andyps