Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Chaining Workflows in the Gallery

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi all,

we have three workflows, that we are currently running in the designer. We want to bring the workflow in the Gallery and want to run the scheduled.

How can we chain the workflows together and how use the workflow each others assets (i.e. Workflow 1 creates a "data out" that will be used as "data in" for Workflow 2)?

Thanks you for your help!

Best regards,

Frank

4 REPLIES 4
JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

HI @Inactive User 

On the first app press CTRL+ALT+D to open the interface designer, in the On Success option select "run another analytic app" and point it to you second app, rinse and repeat. Make sure that the paths for input and output files are correct. When done save the first app to the gallery as normal. This should get you the result you're after.

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hi,

thanks for your response. How would you reference to files that were produced in the first workflow and should be picked up automatically in the second workflow?

Thank you!

JTCairns
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Inactive User 

The best way is to have them output to a specific shared area that sits on your network for example [NAMEOFAPP][OUTPUT1]. If you are planing to have multiple users using simultaneously then you will need to make the output unique for that session.

j_acon
9 - Comet

Assuming

Workflow-A  -> Workflow-B  -> Workflow-C

If the outputs files of Workflow-A are static, then workflow-B just needs to have inputs set to the outputs of workflow-A

If they are dynamic, eg. Date at the end of the file name "output-20191213.csv", then you just need to recreate the name and location of the file and past it to a Dynamic Input tool to read it back in workflow-B

If they are dynamic, but base on what's inside a directory. Then I would generate a list of the data output files from workflow-A, the list I would then output to static file, workflow-B will read that static file and pass the list of output-files to Dynamic inputs tools to read the data back.