Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Chained apps- Use an output (.xydb) of one app for the other as input

danial_j
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I have two chained apps and the first one outputs a database as yxdb and I need to use this output as an input to the 2nd app. Currently on running apps, the second app does not find the output of the 1st app.

On server I get file not found error and on designer (local) I always need to save the output of 1st app then use this output as an input to the 2nd app but however this cannot be achieved in server.

Anyone has an idea on how to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For this one, what you want to do is when you're sending App 1 to the Gallery, make sure to also send that YXDB that it produces (to be used in App 2) up along with it, as an asset.

For example, app 1 produces C:\users\mbarone\deskeop\App1.yxdb.

And app 2 uses C:\users\mbarone\deskeop\App1.yxdb.

When sending app1 to the Gallery, you would check C:\users\mbarone\deskeop\App1.yxdb as an asset to send with it, along with app 2.

That will make is so any user that runs app 1 will have their very own App1.yxdb created for them in their own little temp space just for that run. And when app 2 is engaged, it will automatically pick up that App1.yxdb that was just created in that temp space.  And again, it will do this for each user, for each run, so nothing will run into each other.

kanemku
7 - Meteor

Hello @mbarone, 

How do you send a file to the gallery as an asset? I'm having the same issue as the original poster, and I think that your fix should work for me. However, I don't know how to add files as assets. 

Thank you!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You have to include the file AND the other workflow as workflow dependencies when uploading to Server.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

When you save it to the gallery, go into the following screen and click the assets link:

2022-07-28 07_20_45-alteryxpnv01 - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Then make sure to check the boxes for both the secondary app, as well as the YXDB that the first app will be creating, to be used in the 2nd app as an input:

2022-07-28 07_21_02-alteryxpnv01 - Remote Desktop Connection.png