Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Chained Apps - Error creating the file

Lbunce
7 - Meteor

Hi.

I've recently created a series of chained apps which take user inputs and updates subsequent apps.

For example in the first app if the user selects A they are then presented with an option of 1,2 or 3. If they select B, they are presented with 4, 5 and 6 for example. As such all the paths are relative between the apps.

I've been able to upload all five parts to the server without issue and know from past runs of workflows that it can write to a temporary folder. However when I try and run the chained apps, it appears to error between the first and second part and presents the following error message.

Error creating the file " D:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\Staging\7400_37dc57665c3a40c9bd2197fc7bfa1cce\Prefix_Dimension.yxdb ":Access is denied. (5) (Tool Id: 18)

I assume that the temporary folder is being deleted between apps? Does anyone know a way of stopping this or getting this to work. We need them to be temporary folders as each run could take 10 minutes and may have multiple people trying to use the app at a single time and we don't want their choices to impact others runs.

7 REPLIES 7
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Lbunce,

You could use normal outputs between the apps and append the gallery username as a suffix. To get the username you would neet to put an interface tool inside the workflow with the following name "__cloud:UserId". That way even if there are many people using the app their data won't get mixed up.

After finishing you can delete these temporary files.

Regards

Lbunce
7 - Meteor

Hi @afv2688 

Would you be able to provide an example?

This isn't something I've heard of being able to do before and sounds like a good solution and we would certainly find additional benefit from being able to retrieve that information.

Lbunce
7 - Meteor

Hi @afv2688 

I've managed to get it retrieving the userid and outputting to files using this.

However, on some of the apps I use an interface tool which displays values from an external file which is one of these outputs created earlier in the process.

How do I update this external file name within the interface tools with this userid.

Thanks.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Lbunce,

Here you can find an example written by @mbarone on this post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Get-and-use-email-address-of-user-runnin...

To display values on the interface tools I would recommend you using an yxdb table with two columns (NAME & VALUE). To update the table I would chain before a little app that would update this table before running the principal. This would onlye be used to display the new names on the interface tools since using an excel only wouldn't help you (would always keep the old metadata).

Is this what you were asking for?

Regards

Lbunce
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I've worked with Alteryx Support to get this working and thought I would post the solution we were provided in this thread in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

First, we checked that the user had the required permissions as per the below link.

https://help.alteryx.com/server/11.0/admin/Configuration/RunasPermissions.htm

This has already been done and wasn't solving our solution, but worth trying that first.

Afterwards, we were told to remove the run as configuration on the server as we were using the same accounts under the run as option in the system settings and the Alteryx service.

So we removed the run as configuration under Alteryx system settings and this fixed our issue and I was able to chain apps.

adrilarotta
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Lbunce ,

Just to confirm, this is a configuratin that should be done in the server by the administrator? it is not something I can fix from designer?

asmith314
8 - Asteroid

@Lbunce Just want to make sure I'm clear. So you removed the account from "System Settings" but kept the values within the "Alteryx Service"?

We have the run as login setup in System Settings but NOT in the Service and we are having this same issue.

I'm wondering if we switch it to the Service instead if it will make a difference or if your specific issues was due to the login being in both places.