Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Chain App does not run subsequent workflows on schedule

HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

We have a chained app uploaded on our company's Alteryx server. When I run it manually - it runs fine. However, when I run it on schedule it runs the first workflow fine but then does not go past it. Has anyone come across something similar?

9 REPLIES 9
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @HiralMavani 

Have you seen this post? https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Chained-App-App2-does-not-run-upon-suc...

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

HI @joshuaburkhow - Thank you for your reply. Yes I did look at that post, and the apps are linked together. When I run it manually on the server, it works fine. However, when it is run on schedule it only runs App1 (and not App2 ....). 

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Ok how are you providing the inputs to the app? Does App1 complete successfully (output data for App2)?

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

@joshuaburkhow  - App1 completes successfully and then calls App2. This is howI have it configured - 

HiralMavani_0-1603373072450.png

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Ok good! Then when you go to publish to the gallery, if you go to workflow assets do you see that 2nd app and it is selected? 

joshuaburkhow_0-1603373309564.png

HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

@joshuaburkhow  - yes I can see it selected.

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Can you run app 2 by itself?

HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

I cannot see app2 on the server (once its uploaded) as its chained to App1. I can see App1. When I run App1 (on the server) it runs App1, 2 just fine. Only problem arises when it runs automatically on schedule. 

HiralMavani
7 - Meteor

@joshuaburkhow- I submitted a ticket with Alteryx support and this is the response I got - 

"Unfortunately, chained apps do not work when being scheduled. There is an article about it here, as well as some suggestions on how to do similar things with other tools.
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Scheduling-Chained-Apps/td-p/549908

Please have a look at the article and let me know if you have any further questions.
"