Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Can't find user to add to data connection

eliberatore
7 - Meteor

I've added two new users to a collection but when I go to add them to a Data Connection in Gallery their names won't appear.

16 REPLIES 16
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @eliberatore ,

Have you tried searching for the users using the last name or their ad userid?

Best,

Jagdeesh

eliberatore
7 - Meteor

Hi @JagdeeshN ,

Searching on last name and user ID did not work either.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@eliberatore 

I've had similar issues before and one thing that sometimes works for me is to type in the first letter then * then a space then backspace to just the first letter. If it works, you should see a list of everyone with that letter in their name

so if I was searching for you, I'd key:

e*<space>

<backspace><backspace>

Hope this works for you!

-Jimmy

smysnbrg
8 - Asteroid

@eliberatore 

I had a similar problem when I realized that each user had to be assigned to a Data Connection after my upgrade past 2020.4.

What worked for me, though it was kind of a hassle, was that I had to go to each user, change a setting (schedule jobs from off to on), press save, and the user then appeared in the list.  I'm not sure if this had to do with their role or if it's just a bug from upgrading server.

Things seem stable at the moment.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@eliberatore I just saw this post. For what it's worth, I've had a support ticket opened since October 2020 where we can't add some users to Data Connections. There is something weird going on where we can add any of the first ~500 users, but then ~500+ can't be added. We've been able to leverage the server's internal api to get around the issue for the time being. Our server has been on 2020.2 and 2021.2 with both versions having the issue. Given that more people haven't run into the issue, I suspect there's something funny in our specific environment/setup.

smysnbrg
8 - Asteroid

Alteryx Support provided our organization with a rather quick and simple resolution that involved re-indexing our Gallery MongoDB.  Maybe your support contact on the case can elaborate on a solution like this and/or why it may or may not be applicable to your environment.

Hope yours gets resolved soon.

Best wishes.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @patrick_digan ,

Were you able to find a solution for this problem?

I have a client in 21.3 with the same issue in the PROD Server but not in the DEV, both using the same version.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@fmvizcaino we're still experiencing the same issue in 2021.2 and support has said that they thought 2021.3.3.63061 had a fix for the issue. Our workaround is the attached workflow which is replicating the front end API calls from the web. You'll need the Data Connection ID, the user ID, and the Server Name. We use windows auth, and so you'll also need to add a curators user name and password in both download tools on the connection tab. It makes 2 calls, one to get a session ID and then a second call to actually add the user to the dataconnection. Once it completes, you can see the user from the front end screens like normal. While I've never had a problem with this workflow, you should obviously start in Dev and make sure you're comfortable with the calls that are being made before you actually run it.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This is great, you are amazing @patrick_digan !!

Thanks a lot for the prompt response!!! Our client is in 21.3.2 and was open for an upgrade luckily 😁

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino