Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Can multiple users trigger the same workflow at the same time?

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

We have around 100 clients. All these clients will have common workflows and client specific workflows. We have created collection for each client to provide access to respective users for these collections. We have published the common workflows in to one collections and shared the common workflows between all 100 clients. For example we have published 2 common workflows into client1 collection and shared these 2 workflows between all other 99 clients collection. Now all 100 client collections reflect with these 2 workflows.

But when I logged in as Admin and navigated to workflows tab, there I can see only 2 common workflows. From this, I realized that, there are only 2 workflows got created and the same workflows are shared between all other collections.

Now I have below my question

1. If multiple client users are running the same common workflow of their respective collection at the same time, will there be multiple instances of the common workflow will be created and executed parallelly or it will be done in queue process?

2. If it is executed in queue process, then we need to create the copy of same workflow in all 100 clients instead of sharing between them. Then how can we create copy of the same workflow in all 100 clients at a single go instead of publishing the same workflow in all 100 client collections? which is a time taking process.

3. How can we publish the workflows from one server to another server by using API end points?

4. Is there a way to publish the workflows from one server to another server collections using API end points?

6 REPLIES 6
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

When configuring your alteryx server there are some options regards the number of jobs that can be ran simultaneously.

Regardless of whether your clients are accessing the same workflow saved once and shares with anyone, or your clients are accessing the same workflow saved uniquely for each client, the behaviour will be the same.

A job will be created, If there is a slot available (depending on if any other jobs are being ran), it will be ran immediately, If all of the slots are taken then it will go into a the queue.

Regards publishing content to a different server via an API, I believe content management and user management at present cannot be controlled by the API.

However many people will have migrates server content before so maybe they can add to this post.

Ben

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I am bit confused about the behavior, when number of users triggering the same workflow. One of my team member reached out to Alteryx support team and they replied that We cannot run the same workflow in parallel unless you upload the workflow multiple times separately. The engine will wait for the workflow to finish before running it again and they mentioned that "Workflows allowed to run simultaneously" is the option available while configuring the Alteryx server, but this is to run different workflows in parallel.  

raychase
11 - Bolide

@Jithendra I have ran multiple instances of the exact same workflow, concurrently, so I believe you were mislead. 

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for the information. 

TarunDeep
8 - Asteroid

Hi @raychase ,

When you say exact same workflow, do you mean 1 workflow ran multiple times or you mean 2 exact same workflows?

alexandramannerings
8 - Asteroid

I'd like to understand this difference as well. We have a chained app that we want to make sure only one person can actually run it at a time. Will Alteryx Server allow the same analytic app to be run at the same time by different users?