Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Can a fail event be used to set the workflow to re-run in 30 minutes on server

wwatson
12 - Quasar

Can we set a workflow to re-run after a specified number of minutes after a fail event on Alteryx Server? I see the following 2 options under workflow events.

wwatson_0-1597151510692.png

4 REPLIES 4
JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

@wwatson 

I'm not sure that is an option. It may be more helpful to program around the specific cases that would cause the scheduled workflow to fail. 

I'm happy to help brainstorm if you are willing to share more about the situation. 

Justin Babbitt

Justin Babbitt
wwatson
12 - Quasar

A critical workflow might fail on Server due to a file not being available, a network connection problem or something else. We want to know if we can automatically trigger them to run again after a specified period like 30 minutes. I couldn't see any obvious way to configure this on server. Any ideas would be appreciated.

JustinBabbitt
Alteryx
Alteryx

Unfortunately, I don't think there is an obvious way to configure the scheduler in the way you are describing. 

It is possible to run Alteryx from the command line though... 

I'm not well versed on creating .bat files so I'll pose this question: Would it be possible to set up a .bat to execute on Failure (Event)  that has a time dimension.  So it would execute something like this: 

Start .bat

Get start time

Wait 30 mins

Execute Alteryx Workflow

Another idea is to potentially identity why a workflow failed and Create Messages in the workflow to help decipher what happened, then Send the fail message to yourself (Or whomever) using the Email Tool. 

Justin Babbitt
wwatson
12 - Quasar

@JustinBabbitt  we already have fail event emails set up so we know when one of the critical workflows fails. The action for some of them is always the same, run it again in 30 mins.

We'd like to automate running the workflow again after a fail.

I'll ask around internally about a bat file option.