Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Can I create a simple drop down that will allow someone to choose their option(s)?

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

I have a spreadsheet all formatted with the data columns I need.  I have one column that, when I have run Alteryx, a user will then need to select between two options in the output file that is sent to them.  How do I easily create a drop down for an existing column, with multiple choices?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@JTB76 

Not quite sure I fully understand the process, but you can use a List Box

to allow users to make multiple selections. You can either feed the List Box with data from a file or you can use the column mentioned and feed that into the top of the List Box tool. If you go with the former route you'll need to duplicate that column and rename one column to "Name" and the other "Value". See Action Tool for configurations. 

JTB76
8 - Asteroid

@DanM 

Thanks for the response.  I have tried to use the List Box tool and the Action Tool.  The attached is what I have tried to complete, but when I go into the subsequent output file, there are no drop down / list items coming up for selection.  Not sure where I am going wrong.  The existing column name where I want the options is Proposed Overall RTO.  

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Is your goal to give the end-user a final output, and have that output present them with a list box?   I guess I'm not understanding the use-case here.  List boxes/action tools are for letting users make selections in an app, which will ultimately produce "something" (an output, a database update, etc.).  The "something" isn't the thing that gets the list choices.  The "app" is what presents the choices that the user makes, which results in a "something".

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Your action tool isn't configured. You have to expand your action tool's formulafields box and highlight what you want your dropdown/listbox to interact with and what value you want it to replace...

and to follow up on what @mbarone is saying - usually we see listboxes or dropdowns going into a filter tool.. Your formula tool as configured will have the name of the column (or a value created by a formula in the action tool) - not the values inside the column go into your formula...

In many cases it helps to transpose data first and filter on the [name] matching the dropdown and then your formula is static using [name] as a stand in... your filter has something like [name]="test" with  test highlighted in the action too or "test" in generate custom list mode l attached to your dropdown...

note - in the case above you may not be using listbox as a field selector (that would have the action tool attached to a select tool) rather you are probably using it to "generate custom list"

jimroch
6 - Meteoroid

Think i may have a similar issue i am trying to resolve.  Please see the below workflow.  In this scenario, i'd like to create an action filter, so the user can decide what filters to implement.  In the example provided, looking for user to be able to select one or multiple months as a filter.  Filters do not seem to be working when run from Gallery.

jimroch_0-1632186796044.png

jimroch
6 - Meteoroid

Published the sample workflow to Gallery Public.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/FilterMonthApp/61492fdb8a93370e74442904