Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

BigQuery Input/Output Connector on Server

RColwell
5 - Atom

I have downloaded and implemented the Google BigQuery Input and Output connector that are now available via the Gallery. I would like to publish the workflow to our server so that I can schedule the job to run on a daily basis. I have configured the BigQuery Input connector to use the "Service-to-Service" connection which uses a json file to get the service account account and key. When I attempt to run on the server the workflow fails because it is looking for the JSON file. Is there a way I can configure the server so that it will use the file?

Alteryx Designer and Server versions are 2018.4

Error text:

The job Non Search Test did not complete successfully and resulted in the following errors:

· Failed to decrypt value for serviceCredsJSONStr! (Tool Id: 18)

· Service account JSON not provided. Please specify a path to your service account file. (Tool Id: 18)

· Failed to decrypt value for serviceCredsJSONStr! (Tool Id: 31)

· Service account JSON not provided. Please specify a path to your service account file. (Tool Id: 31)

· Failed to decrypt value for serviceCredsJSONStr! (Tool Id: 40)

· Service account JSON not provided. Please specify a path to your service account file. (Tool Id: 40)

14 REPLIES 14
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @RColwell 

The JSON file should be in a location accessible by the Gallery. Can you put the file on the Gallery server or a shared drive that is accessible by the server? Also, when publishing the workflow to the Gallery be sure to select the option to Manage workflow assests in the Save Workflow menu. Then you can ensure that everything needed to run the workflow is included.

For details about these tools and links to Google documentation, please see this Community article: Goggle Big Query Tools.

ronniet7626
6 - Meteoroid

I am facing the same issue, I have created the workflow on a different server but I have used a credentials json file on my Gallery server to run the workflow. The workflow runs fine as I have mapped a drive to the Gallery server where the json file is located, however when I try to save the workflow to Gallery I receive the error 

clipboard_image_0.png

There is no option to specify the path to the json file when saving the workflow to Gallery.

I am currently running 

clipboard_image_1.png

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi all - we are very sorry to see you are running into this issue. This is tied to a current defect our development team is diligently working on (DE17386). While I do not have an ETA on when a fix will be out, we will be sure to update this post when a release with the fix is available!

Our apologies for any inconvenience caused!

Sophia Fraticelli
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx, Inc.
TylerB
5 - Atom

Hi Sophia - any update on this defect or a location where we can track it.  I ran into a simliar error issue with the Power BI Output Tool (v2.1.2) and this community thread was the only thing that came up via search that seemed to be similar.

eric_strein
8 - Asteroid

We're experiencing the same issue with BigQuery output credentials on our schedule server. 

We need to remain in BigQuery for the speed it provides, has anyone discovered a workaround for this?

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@eric_strein @TylerB - we have a fix. Please reach out to Customer Support referencing the defect DE17386 and we will be happy to provide it!

Sophia Fraticelli
Alteryx, Inc.
michaelhakansson
5 - Atom

Could you share the fix for defect DE17386 here?

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@michaelhakansson there are a few steps to configure on both the Server and the local machines, so we ask that you reach out to Support so they can walk you through it for your specific environment. Thank you!

Sophia Fraticelli
Alteryx, Inc.
michaelhakansson
5 - Atom

I thought it would be good to share the resolution for me:

Pre-work: Upgrade to Server 2019.3

After the designer/server upgrade the following needs to be performed on each machine that will upload BigQuery workflows to the Gallery:

Create key on local machines
Administrators will need to create a new string value PythonAllowHideEncryption under the Alteryx Registry Key:

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx
Value Name: PythonAllowHideEncryption
Value Data: true
Note: This key must be set on each user’s machine as well as on all Worker nodes.

Steps to create the new key:
Type regedit in Windows Start Menu
Browse to the folder location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SRC\Alteryx
Right-click and select New > String Value

Set the KeyName to PythonAllowHideEncryption and the Value to true

Effects in the Gallery
The below descriptions assume that all users interacting with the Gallery have the registry key set to true.

a. Uploading to Gallery:

Encrypted values for the supported Python tools (such as the BigQuery tool) will be updated to hide encryption once you publish it to the Gallery.

b. Running on Gallery:

Only workflows that originated from machines with the registry key set will be able to run successfully in the Gallery. The worker nodes must also have the registry key set and the respective Python tools (such as the BigQuery tool) installed.

c. Opening from Gallery:

The original encryption method will be restored. These Python-based tools (such as the BigQuery tool) might need to be reconfigured in order for the workflow to run.