Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Be careful when upgrade Alteryx server from 2018.1 to 2018.2

khu
8 - Asteroid

Hi, Community,

I yesterday just updated the server to 2018.2.

Over 60 workflows in my scheduler not sending emails this morning, it turned out my visual layout tool(beta) dont have any inputs(it's more like visual layout tool be reset after update), so i need to go through each workflow, run it manually, then manage layout again(tables, texts), then schedule again, which is a pain.

Please sugguest the best practice when upgrade the alteryx

2 REPLIES 2
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @khu

I would say that using Beta tools in a production workflow is a bad idea. Beta products can change without prior notice.

Avoid using them until they are in full production

TZChandler
8 - Asteroid

There are a lot of tools I would never use in production. Including several Crew macros. For example did you know that the Runner tools can easily kill your server? I learned this that hard way. Runner tools do not follow the resource parameters set for Alteryx. They run a muck. I started sequencing several workflows and the server ran out of memory. Plus this created corrupt workflows. Corrupt Workflows don't show up as failed. They just hang there and unless you click through the pages of logs you'll never see them.

We are waiting for more time to pass before we head to 2018.2. The last upgrade was a pain. It took a couple of weeks with Alteryx's support team to get to a steady state. We still having some issues when publishing to Tableau that never happened before the update. 

Wouldn't it be nice if Alteryx had a cloud version? Then we could stop spending so much time doing admin work.