Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Automate Disabling/enabling Schedules in Gallery

Kumaril_D
5 - Atom

Hi ,

I was wondering if there is a way to  Automate the process of disabling Schedules in Gallery?

Our servers undergo a monthly patching activity during which we disable the workflows so that they do not fail , The number of Schedules in the gallery is increasing every day and this is becoming a tedious task .

I have also considered Stopping the AlteyxService but am concerned that once the Service is back online it might run all the workflows 

Thanks in Advance 

1 REPLY 1
EricWe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Kumaril_D,

I think the best option is stopping the Service on each node. The Service will wait for any jobs currently processing to finish before stopping. Any schedules missed while the Service is down will queue up and run after restarting the Service.

EricWe_0-1582292097909.png

In the System Settings Worker General tab, you can uncheck the option Allow machine to run scheduled Alteryx workflows, and the schedules would queue and run after that option is reenabled.  However, users could still run workflows manually, so I recommend stopping the Service instead.

EricWe_1-1582292097937.png

Here are two essential best practices to prevent resource utilization contention after restarting the Service.

First, I suggest checking the System Information Summary page for the number of processor cores and available physical memory.

The Engine will generally use two CPU cores for each workflow. We recommend only one simultaneous workflow per two CPU cores. You can check the current setting in the Worker General tab. If more workflows are scheduled, the additional ones will queue up instead of causing resource contention.

Another consideration is the available RAM. The best practice formula is 1/2 available RAM / # of simultaneous workflows for the Sort/Join Memory setting on the Engine General tab.