Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

App not reading input file for drop down selection

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

I don't recall having this issue in the past and have now come across a couple of instances in the last week.

(i know, i know - chained apps...Just hear me out)

We have apps where the first question dynamically chooses the names from the file for the user to select from. Then the user updates info in the columns as needed. In the past, this first selection aways updated based on the file it was pulling from. That has seemed to have stopped? Now this only works if we run the workflow to 'charge' that first section, then when we run the app, it works fine. I'm not understanding why the app isn't reading the input file right off the bat to populate the "Choose your name" drop down.

workflowapp question (2).png

I did some additional searching and broke the above out to make it a chained app. 

Part 1 shows the input creating the list to be read by the drop down list tool

Chained App 1.png

Part 2 shows that app reading from that new input 

Chained App 2.png

The issue is still occurring even with this set up, even running the app manually(clicking the wand), the drop down is not reading in the most recent file.Even hitting refresh on the input file shows that it is updated, but when the app is run, it's not reading it. 

What are we missing?

2 REPLIES 2
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @No-Sass,

hard to tell without looking at the workflow. I replicated it in my Designer and it's working fine (picking values from the headers of the connected tool). 

Maybe a stupid question, but are you absolutely sure the input tool is pointint at ther right testedelete2.yxdb file?

Cheers,

Giuseppe

No-Sass
8 - Asteroid

Everything is pointed to the proper files.  We just upgraded to 19.1 and the problem remains. I'm at a loss here. 

Splitting or not splitting into a chained app, the issue remains - the data source linked to the drop-down only updates when the workflow is (ctrl-R). The data source is updated (Refresh shows the five names available)

Workflowapp question3_LI.jpg

When the wand is selected to run the app, it shows the previous file instance when the workflow was run - like the drop-down is not getting "loaded" with the updated data from this file. 

Workflowapp question4.png

The drop-down tool is configured to "Fields from Connected Tool". 

workflowapp question5.png

Chained or not, the drop-down is not connecting to the data source via app and only updates when the underlying workflow is run. 

I've attached the first app in hopes that it'll package the second app (above)...If not, I'll upload the second app by itself.

Appreciate all insights on this.