Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx upgrade - where did the AD Group details come from? Where are they stored?

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

Hi,

I've just completed an upgrade of our Staging Server (Gallery) from 2018.3 to 2020.4

Following this I have two entries in the Groups tab which is "new" i.e. wasn't available in 2018.3

Both entries are of Type "ActiveDirectory"

Now these groups are certainly relevant to Alteryx but I'm curious as to where the upgrade got the details from to create these entries?

If I check the MongoDB using Compass there are no records in the userGroups collection, which I guess makes sense since AD details are likewise not held in the users collection, but I'm failing to see where the group details and, in particular, the Role value associated with each group is being stored.

I need the latter information in order to update our user recertification workflow.

Regards,

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

UPDATE

I found where the permissions are stored:

activeDirectoryPermissions

Is it [Category : 1] that defines it as a group as opposed to an AD user [Category : 0]?

Still not sure where these would have been picked up from in the old schema since 2018.3 didn't allow you to add groups through the Gallery (or did it!?)

Paul_Holden
9 - Comet

UPDATE

Okay so I have confirmed that you could add AD groups via the Permissions page on 2018.3

We must have done that on Staging but not on Production for some reason (I haven't upgraded Production yet so that was my baseline).

So the complete answer appears to be:

In 2018.3 you could add AD groups to the list of permissions records and the details were stored in the activeDirectoryPermissions collection with a record where [Category : 1]

In 2020.4 these records are explicitly displayed on the Groups tab of the Users page and there are no obvious differences to the details stored in the MongoDB i.e. it's still just a record in the activeDirectoryPermissions collection. No record is added to the new userGroups collection.