Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Alteryx-Tableau connection issue

guannanmu
5 - Atom

Hey all, 

I am facing an Alteryx-tableau connection issue, and would love to hear your thoughts/ideas.

I have an Alteryx workflow that outputs multiple excel files, which are then published to Tableau server. In Tableau server, those different excel files are considered as different data sources. For people who are familiar with Tableau server, the platform doesn't allow the join of data from different data sources, but offers this so-called data blend function, which is a total nightmare. Therefore, I am looking for a way, in Alteryx, to consolidate all different excel files into one excel file with multiple sheets, which I can then publish to Tableau. 

A few failed attempts: 

- was able to use the output tool to put different excel files into one file with different sheets, but this way the file can only be saved locally. 

- tried to create a new workflow to fetch the consolidated excel file, and publish it to the Tableau. But the input tool only allows input of individual sheet... so we are back to square one. 

- thinking about publishing all output excel files to a folder in OneDrive, and then have Tableau access that folder. Would this work? Has anyone tried this before? 

Any suggestions/ ideas are welcomed! Many thanks in advance :). 

0 REPLIES 0