Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Alteryx Server Error - Internal error - Unable to delete test temp file

lyuzhongkun
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am using Excel to get some information and then append the data to the same Excel file in a different tab. I have added a block until Done tool in order to avoid read and write conflict. This method works fine in Desktop but when I publish it into the Alteryx Server(Gallery), an Internal error - Unable to delete test temp file! shows up.

Do you know why it happens and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Arc

10 REPLIES 10
CrumpN8or
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Every Server environment is different, but a possible issue here could be permissions. Often if something will run from Desktop, but not from Server, the permissions are to blame (second cause could be custom Macros that aren't installed on the Server, since you did mention you were using CREW macros!). From your posts, I'm guessing that the Excel doc you are editing is either local (on your desktop), or on a shared network drive?

When you run Desktop, it generally executes the functions of the Alteryx Engine as you, from your local machine. On Server, there are a few different possibilities of "who" the workflow will execute as. If nothing at all is set up, it will use the system account of the Windows Server that Alteryx Server is installed upon. Past that, Server Administrators can set a "Run-As" account, which is helpful in large and integrated environments since it usually allows the Alteryx Engine to access way more resources. Individual users can also set credentials on their studios and workflows in order to help set the proper permissions. If the account that you are running as on Server doesn't have "delete" permissions on your shared drive, it could be the cause of the error you've seen.

Check out @SydneyF 's amazing blog article on setting your own permissions here: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server/How-Workflow-Credentials-Work-on-a-Private-Gallery/t...